The first ever edition of the Medscape India Awards 2012, was announced in the city. Dr. Ramakanta Panda, Baba Amte’s son Vikas Amte, and Alkem Pharmaceuticals and Tata Memorial were among the winners.
Hosted by Founder President of Medscape India, philanthropist Dr.Sunita Dube, the awards were given in 20 categories. The grand jury, as well as other doctors were present in large numbers to cheer their fraternity.
Opening the day’s celebrations, State Health Minister Suresh Shetty spoke straight away about the Beed crisis and challenges facing the fraternity.
The doctors led by Dr.Sunita Dube, Founder, President Medscape India, Dr. Kishore Taori, President Maharashtra Medical Council, Dr. Lekha Pathak, HOD Cardiology, Nanavati Hospital, Dr. H R Jhunjhunwala, President Orthopaedic Society of Mumbai, Dr. Himanshu Mehta, Member Indian Opthalmology Association, and Dr. K H Sancheti, Founder Sancheti Institute took a pledge to spread awareness about gender neutrality thru a stronger ” save the girl child campaign.”
“The Medscape Awards have been a dream come true for me,” said Dr.Sunita. It has been six exacting months of preparation and support from the medical, pharmaceutical and paramedical fraternity. I hope that future generations of doctors aspire to win these awards.”
The award consists of a beautiful ebony and gold trophy that symbolises the ‘international symbol of healthcare.’
While Dr.Vikas Amte won in the category of social contribution in healthcare, Dr.Ramakanta Panda won in the category excellence in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery and Tata Memorial won in the category of excellence in hospital administration. Awards were given away by eminent dignitaries such as Dr. TP Lahane , the dean of JJ Hospital.
The other awardees included
1. EXCELLENCE IN MEDICINE- Dr. Farokh Erach Udwadia, Emeritus Professor of Medicine, Grant Medical College & JJ Group of Hospitals,
2. EXCELLENCE IN SURGERY- Dr. Snehalata Deshmukh, Former Dean, L.T.M.G. Hospital & .T.M. Medical College, Ex. Vice Chancellor, University of Mumbai
3. EXCELLENCE IN NEUROSURGERY- DrParesh K.Doshi, In charge of the Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery program at Jaslok Hospital
4. EXCELLENCE IN DERMATOLOGY-Dr Hemangi R Jerajani, President of IADVL (Indian Association of Dermatologists, Venereologists and Leprologists) 2010-2011, Professor & Head, Department of Dermatology, MGM Medical College & Hospital, Navi Mumbai, India.
5. EXCELLENCE IN OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGYDr C. N. Purandare- Purandare Hospital, President, FOGSI 2009 – 10, Honorary Consultant – Obstretrics / Gynaecology to the Mumbai Police.
6. EXCELLENCE IN OPHTHALMOLOGY- Dr Ragini Hasmukhray Parekh: Professor and Head, Dept. of Ophthalmology, Grant Medical College, Sir J.J. Hospital, Mumbai.
7.EXCELLENCE IN RADIOLOGY- Dr Mukund Joshi: Consultant radiologist at Jaslok Hospital & Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai
8. EXCELLENCE IN WELLNESS AND HEALTH CARE- Shelly Khera, M.D. & Founder, Slim Sutra, Slimming Expert & Yogacharya
9. EXCELLENCE IN HOMEOPATHY- Dr Jawahar Shah, ex-Member of the Central Council of Homoeopathy, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India.
10. EXCELLENCE IN AYURVEDA-Shri Ramji Girijashankar Jyotishi- Mentor Institute of Ayurved and Integrative Medicines, Bengaluru.
11. EXCELLENCE IN PHYSIOTHERAPY- Dr D H Dastoor, HOD, Physiotherapy Department at Asha Parekh Hosp & Research Centre
12. EXCELLENCE IN HEALTH EQUIPMENT- Manman Indigenous Equipment-Manman is a renowned name in the field of Surgical Power Tools used by Cardiac, Neurological & Orthopaedic Surgeons.
13. EXCELLENCE IN DENTISTRY- Dr Mansingh G. Pawar, Dean Govt. Dental College & Hospital, Mumbai.
14. EXCELLENCE IN ORTHOPEDICS- Dr Kantilal Hastimal Sancheti-Padma Shri in 1991 and Padma Bhushan in 2003, Founder Sancheti Institute.
15. EXCELLENCE IN GENERAL PRACTICE-Dr Jitendra Trivedi- Member IMA and Head of Shri Vile Parle Seva Samaj.
16. EXCELLENCE IN MEDICAL TOURISM-SEVEN HILLS GROUP- Hospital based out of Andheri East, Mumbai.
ABOUT MEDSCAPE INDIA
For the first time ever, Indian doctors & the healthcare community have united come together , for dialogue and consensus, MedscapeIndia.
Medscape India is supported by 21 separate councils and associations such as the Maharashtra Medical Council, Maharashtra State Homeopathic Council, Maharashtra State Dental Council, Federation of Obstetric and Gynecological Societies, Neurological Society of India, Association of Pharmaceutical, Indian Dental Association, Indian Association of Physiotherapists, Indian Dental Association etc; Medscapeindia was established in 2010 with a socio-scientific aim.
The President of Medscape India is Dr.Sunita Dube, philanthropist and radiologist, and she has been instrumental in bringing all these federations together.
For more information on diet, health and nutrition, please email Harpinder Gill at email@example.com. You are welcome to email us with any question on any health topic. Please allow 24 hours for an answer, and if your query seems requiring an urgent response, expect to hear from us before that time.