A lot has been made in recent years about Physiotherapy and the effects it can have in patients with injuries or any disabilities. But even after almost two centuries (earliest documented proofs of Physiotherapy as a profession dates back to 1813), do we know enough about Physiotherapy? A lot of questions are still left unanswered… What is Physiotherapy? Who can practice Physiotherapy? Where is it useful?
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy or Physical therapy is a health service primarily involving the rehabilitation in cases of impairments and disabilities. It is also a mode of prevention of injuries and promoting the overall health of the body. It includes diagnosis, evaluation and treatment and caters to patients belonging to various categories.
Who can practice Physiotherapy?
Universities in India offer a four year under-graduation program in Physiotherapy with a mandatory internship for six months, post which one can go for a specialization program. One has to fulfill the above criteria to practice as a registered Physiotherapist.
What are the areas where Physiotherapy can be useful?
1. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary rehabilitation – Primary goal is to increase endurance and functional independence, clear lung secretions. Cardiac patients can benefit a lot from specialized physiotherapists.
2. Geriatric – Physiotherapy is primarily concerned with treating older adults, but can also help with issues concerning people as they are aging. People who are affected by arthritis, osteoporosis, hip and joint replacement, etc. often benefit from Geriatric therapy.
3. Integumentary – Treatment of skin and related organs. Physiotherapy can speed up the healing process in conditions like wounds or burns.
4. Neurological – Physiotherapy can help in conditions like Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, spinal cord injury and stroke.
5. Orthopedic – Physiotherapy includes diagnosis, management and treatment of disorders or injuries of the muscles or the bones. The rehabilitation process after an orthopedic surgery is helped drastically through Physiotherapy.
6. Pediatric – Physiotherapy helps ion early detection and treatment of health disorders in infants, children and adolescents.
7. Sports – Physiotherapy is involved in the care of athletes. It includes the management of injuries to athletes, including care, treatment and rehabilitation.
8. Women’s health – Physiotherapy can help in addressing issues related to child birth and post partum.
At Asian Heart Institute, our Physiotherapy department provides comprehensive services with the latest equipment and well qualified physiotherapists.
Our Physiotherapy department also extends its services at your door-step by offering home visits. You can reach our specialized Physiotherapy team at +91 22 6698 6559/6698/6556 or physiotherapy
For more information on diet, health and nutrition, please email Harpinder Gill at email@example.com. You are welcome to email us with any question on any health topic. Please allow 24 hours for an answer, and if your query seems requiring an urgent response, expect to hear from us before that time.
Tagged: Alzheimer's disease, Asian Heart Institute, Cardiovascular rehabilitation, Dr Ramakanta Panda, Geriatric, Health, Health care, Injury, Physical therapy, Physiotherapists at AHI, Physiotherapy, Pulmonary rehabilitation